Stereognostic Material Bag contains one cloth bag and 10 wooden blocks (2 blocks of 5 different shapes).
This product is a popular part of Montessori Education and helps develop stereognostic skills, material visualization and sensorial skills.
Stereognosis is the ability to perceive and recognize the form of an object in the absence of visual and auditory information, by using touch and feel to provide cues from texture, size, spatial properties, and temperature, etc.
Sample activity to develop Stereognosis.
- Allow the child to feel and touch all the 10 blocks
- Assist the child in identifying identical blocks of the same shape
- Then, keep 5 blocks of different shapes in inside the bag and remaining 5 blocks outside bag
- Seal the bag with the string and shake to mix the blocks
- Then, provide any one shape block to the child and ask him/her to identify the same block amongst the 5 blocks kept inside the bag through touching and feeling the blocks inside the bag.
- Repeat for the remaining four shape blocks outside the bag